Q: I'm interested in learning to model. What should I do to start?
A: Visit the group and talk to the other models and photogrpahers. You'll pick up lots of pointers! You can shoot anytime, or just observe. Bring ideas, pictures from magazines that you like, wardrobe you like, props or anything else you think might be fun.
Q: What should I wear? Can I change once I get there?
A: Wear whatever you like. Yes, there is a private dressing room, complete with makeup station and shower.
Q: Can I get free headshots (etc, etc) at GPG?
A: Well, kinda. GPG is designed to provide free portfolio development to models, photographers, makeup artists, hair stylists and clothing designers. No commercial work of any kind is allowed at GPG. If you're a model, your portfolio headshots (etc) are completely in-line with the spirit of the event. If you're a clothing designer, portfolio images of your wares are similarly aligned. However, this does not include images that are directly used to sell your items on ebay, etsy, etc (commercial use.) If you're a real-estate agent, musician, band, DJ, artist, writer, attourney, etc, your "headshots" for business cards, album covers, dust covers, flyers and the like are commercial photography.
NOTE: Exceptions to this rule may be considered for the benefit of true non-profit endeavors if everyone involved is aware and agreeable.
Q: Are there things I should do in the days before a shoot to prepare?
A: Here are a few things to do prior to your shoot:
- Drink lots of water for a few days before.
- Use a good moisturizer on your skin
- If you're prone to razor bumps, try shaving at least 8-12 hours before your shoot.
- Have a snack before hand, but not a large meal. Avoid what we jokingly refer to as "puppy tummy."
- Avoid wearing tight/elastic clothing that will not be worn in the shoot itself as they'll leave lines in your skin. If, for instance, you are shooting in a backless evening gown, dont wear a bra beforehand. If you're shooting in a skirt, don't weak skin-tight jeans, etc.
Q: I am a ___________ and am interested in more specifics.
A: Great! Check out more FAQ's using the menu on the right!