Q: I'm interested in learning to model. What should I do to start?
A: Visit the group and talk to the other models and photogrpahers. You'll pick up lots of pointers! You can shoot anytime, or just observe. Bring ideas, pictures from magazines that you like, wardrobe you like, props or anything else you think might be fun.
Q: What should I wear? Can I change once I get there?
A: Wear whatever you like to set, but bring an appropriate wardrobe selection for the type of shoot you're involved (or hoping to be involved) with! Yes, there is a private dressing room.
Q: What should I bring?
A: All models, male and female should bring (at the very minimum) 1.) wardrobe selections and 2.) a basic makeup/touchup kit.
Q: Can I get free headshots (etc, etc) at GPG?
A: Well, kinda. GPG is designed to provide free portfolio development to models, photographers, makeup artists, hair stylists and clothing designers. No commercial work of any kind is allowed at GPG. If you're a model, your portfolio headshots (etc) are completely in-line with the spirit of the event. If you're a clothing designer, portfolio images of your wares are similarly aligned. However, this does not include images that are directly used to sell your items on ebay, etsy, etc (commercial use.) If you're a real-estate agent, musician, band, DJ, artist, writer, attourney, etc, your "headshots" for business cards, album covers, dust covers, flyers and the like are commercial photography.
NOTE: Exceptions to this rule may be considered for the benefit of true non-profit endeavors if everyone involved is aware and agreeable.
- Drink lots of water for a few days before.
- Use a good moisturizer on your skin
- If you're prone to razor bumps, try shaving at least 8-12 hours before your shoot.
Q: How about the day of the shoot?
A: Here are a few considerations for shoot day:
- Have a snack before hand, but not a large meal. Avoid what we jokingly refer to as "puppy tummy."
- Avoid wearing tight/elastic clothing that will not be worn in the shoot itself as they'll leave lines in your skin. If, for instance, you are shooting in a backless evening gown, dont wear a bra beforehand. If you're shooting in a skirt, don't wear skin-tight jeans, etc.
Q: Do I get copies of the photos to use in my portfolio, on Facebook, etc?
A: Yep. Everyone involved (photogs, models, MUAs, stylists, designers,etc.) gets the photographer-selected images to use in their portfolios, etc.
Q: I am a ___________ and am interested in more specifics.
A: Great! Check out more FAQ's using the menu on the right!